Last week in the grocery store, I noticed rhubarb was in the produce section. My eldest daughter loves rhubarb. She will even eat it raw! In the past, I have always made my great aunt’s recipe for rhubarb crunch. But this past weekend, I decided to try making Strawberry Rhubarb crumble. My daughter helped me, and while we did make some modifications to the recipe we followed from smalltownwoman.com, it turned out so delicious. The entire pan was gone in one evening. Hence: I had to share this show stopping Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble with all of you!
Strawberry Rhubarb CrumbleCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
A summertime crowd pleasing dessert featuring fresh rhubarb and fresh strawberries.
5 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
3 cups rhubarb trimmed and chopped into one inch pieces
3 Tbsp Cup4Cup GF flour or All purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
- Crumble Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Cup4Cup GF flour or all purpose flour
5 Tbsp butter, softened
1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8×11 baking dish with nonstick baking spray
- In a large bowl, mix together strawberries, rhubarb, 3 Tbsp flour, and sugar. Spoon into baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, softened butter, rolled oats, and cinnamon. Using a fork or pastry knife, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. If you choose, you can add in chopped pecans at this time, as smalltownwoman suggests in her recipe. Then, sprinkle over top of fruit mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until top is browned and mixture is bubbly. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- I made this with cup4cup gluten free flour, but the recipe called for all purpose. Ours did turn out great, if you’re looking for a gluten free option! Also, in the original recipe from Smalltownwoman.com, 4 cups of both rhubarb and strawberries is called for. We cut up our rhubarb (4 stalks) a bit smaller than an inch and got 3 cups. Our strawberries measured out to 5 cups so that’s what we used in the batch we made and it turned out great, and that’s what I’ve listed here in our slightly modified version.
I know first hand just how delicious this was😍! The combo of strawberry rhubarb is very nostalgic to me.